Food, wonderful food! Not only is it delicious, but eating the right foods can help us stay happy and healthy. In terms of eye health, you may believe that weakening vision is inevitable – but it doesn’t necessarily have to be! It is true that eating a well-balanced is good for your lovely peepers.
Of course, there are some foods that pack a bigger punch when it comes to improved eye health. Here are some of the best options to add to your daily diet:
- Fish: Fish is chock full of omega-3 fatty acids, which have been found to improve eye health. The fish with the most omega-3s include salmon, mackerel, trout, and tuna.
- Legumes and nuts: Peanuts, lentils, walnuts, and cashews. Make sure you add these to your daily diet because they contain both omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E, which helps protect against age-related eye issues.
- Seeds: Be like the birds and eat seeds! Like legumes and nuts, they also contain Vitamin E and our good friend, omega-3 fatty acids. Flax and chia seeds should be your go-to seeds.
- Citrus fruit: Vitamin C, found in citrus fruit, is an anti-oxidant that helps protect against eye damage. As expected, oranges, lemons, and grapefruit are high in Vitamin C.
- Dark leafy greens: In addition to Vitamin C, dark leafy greens, such as kale, spinach and collard greens, contain a whole lot of zeaxanthin and lutein, which will help keep your eyes healthy.
- The Mighty Carrot: Just as your mom (or grandmom) used to say: carrots are good for your eyes. And she was right! Carrots are full of beta carotene and Vitamin A, which helps your eyes absorb light, making it easier on your vision.
A well-balanced diet is essential for good health. If you want to focus on eye health, snack on the above foods regularly.